Hey, hey IE rock stars! Today I have a crazy/fun/chatty interview with Bruce Jones, the President and Founder of International TEFL Academy. If you learn just one thing from this interview it will be that Bruce is all about the FUN! And I have no doubt he'd be great to work for if you're wanting to launch a career in international education. *hint hint, wink wink* Like me, Bruce was a small-town, midwestern kid who hadn't seen any of the world until he took off to backpack around Europe after college. All of you study abroad advisors out there will hear some "greatest hits" of study abroad challenges - can you spot them? If so, share them in the comments below. :)
Here's what Bruce and I cover:
- How the study abroad office scared him (but backpacking around Europe alone didn't)
- His quarter-life crisis - how he quit his job in the middle of the night and took off to travel the world
- What it took to step out on his own to launch his own company
- The key skills you need to teach abroad
- What to look for in a TEFL certification (so you don't get something shady)
- Why we feel delinquent for not mastering another language
- And Bruce shares his insights to my standard closing question: You didn't study abroad in College...but if you could do it all again, would you? Listen to find out!
Thanks for hanging out Bruce! If you're interested in teaching abroad (and why wouldn't you), definitely head over to International TEFL Academy to learn more about what they do and how you can start your own wonderful and PAID international experience.
And be sure to connect with Bruce and ITA around the web:
Next week I'm coming at you with a #throwbackthursday video that's sure to make your #NAFSA14 hangover/recovery a little more fun. ;) Stay tuned!